Please use this helpful list of frequently asked questions and their answers. If we may be of assistance, please visit the Contact Us page for our contact information.  It is our pleasure to serve the people and community of Park County.

These are the main categories of information that we cover here, scroll down to view:


Administrative Services

CIVIL SERVICES – About the Park County Sheriff’s Office 

Pursuant to Wyoming State Statute, 18-3-608 the Park County Sheriff’s Office charges a fee of $50.00 for all civil services. This covers the first three attempts and then it’s $5.00 for each additional attempt requested.

Contact the Sheriff’s Office Administrative assistant for more information regarding civil process procedures.

How can I work for Park County Sheriff’s Department?

• Go to our Careers page to download the application and related documents that the Park County Sheriff’s Office has, as well as instructions on how to apply. Please submit them by U.S. Mail with a copy of your resume or you can drop them off at the Sheriff’s Office. We accept applications on a continual basis.

Where can I get fingerprinted?

Sometimes your job or participation in a group or activity requires that you be fingerprinted. Contact the Park County Sheriff’s Office Detention Center for fingerprints at 527-8750 prior to coming down. The Detention Staff will take your prints on weekdays  between 9:00 -11:00 A.M. And 1:00- 3:00 P.M. but are unable to from 11:00 AM until 1:00 PM due to serving meals. Sometimes the Detention staff if very busy with inmates and are unable to provide printing services which is why it’s a good idea to call in advance. Make sure that when you come to get your prints that you do the following steps;

1. Bring a Photo ID
2. Bring $5.00 cash
3. Bring your fingerprint cards

Come into the main entrance of the Sheriff’s Office and turn left into the Detention Center Lobby. Use the phone provided to contact the detention center.

How can I commend a Park County Sheriff’s Office employee for outstanding service?

• If you received excellent service from a Park County Sheriff’s Office employee, or witnessed something that deserves special recognition, we encourage you to tell us so we may share this with the employee and our staff. Your appreciation and encouragement are very important to us. Please email the Sheriff.

DISPATCH – Reporting Crimes

Where can I get assistance if I’ve been a witness to or a victim of a crime? 

Please call the Park County Sheriff’s Office and speak with our staff at 307-527-8700 or 307-754-8700. The communications staff have to gather some information and a deputy will be dispatched to assist you. We have numerous resources to help.

When should I call 9-1-1? 

When do you need to call 9-1-1 vs. calling on the non-emergency line?  If someone needs Law Enforcement, EMS or Fire for a serious issue, then call 9-1-1. However, if you aren’t sure if it’s serious or not it’s better to call 9-1-1 then debate the issue. you should never call 9-1-1 for less serious items that do not require immediate response.


9-1-1 dispatchers are trained to get the most important information as quickly as possible to get help on the way to an emergency situation. In an emergency situation, allow the call taker to ask you all the questions they need in order to get help there in the timeliest manner before you hang up or leave the phone. They have to “paint the picture” for the responding officers and will ask questions to ensure the appropriate response is sent. If you happen to call by accident, please stay on the line until you can tell the dispatcher that you called by accident and there is no emergency. This saves the call taker from having to call you back and confirm there is no emergency or possibly sending Law Enforcement to check your address for an emergency.

• How can I report crime tips?

• If you have information about a crime, witnessed a crime, or have overheard someone discussing participation in a crime, don’t be afraid to report it. The community support is very important in solving crimes in our County. Please click here to go to our online crime tip submission form or call our office at (307) 527-8700 or 754-8700. If you feel the crime is currently in progress, call 9-1-1 immediately and report this to the Sheriff’s Office dispatch center.


The wireless 9-1-1 caller must be aware that the 9-1-1 center that answers the call may not be the 9-1-1 center that services the area that the wireless caller is calling from. Look for landmarks, cross street signs and buildings. Know the name of the city or county you are in. Knowing the location is vital to getting the appropriate Law Enforcement, Fire or EMS units to respond. Providing an accurate address is critically important when making a wireless 9-1-1 call. As technology improves, it will be easier for 9-1-1 dispatchers to identify your location but it is essential that you assist by providing your information to the dispatcher.

DO NOT LET CHILDREN PLAY WITH INACTIVE CELL PHONES. Even an old cell phone that still has a battery is capable of dialing 911 even if you don’t have a current contract for your old phone. Trying to track down the calls that come from children playing with a phone is a waste of resources, and could prevent someone with a legitimate emergency from getting through to 9-1-1. Removing the battery can provide the best way to ensure it can’t make a call either on purpose or by accident.


This may seem obvious, but many times per day we will have to ask questions of callers only to have the caller say back to me, “That’s not important! Just send somebody!” There is a good chance that our co-workers already have someone responding and it is important otherwise we wouldn’t be wasting your time asking it. As an agency that literally has lives on the line, we have stringent and well researched protocols in place. These can range from the required order you ask questions of the RP (Reporting Party) to the exact wording you use to ask said questions. We want to help, and we want to help quickly and effectively — help us do that by answering our queries. At a time of crisis, it’s sometimes hard for someone to answer questions. Remember, listening is as important as talking sometimes. We understand that and work with the caller to direct them to answer our questions so we can update responding units.  Good information is a great resource for all agencies that might respond to your emergency.

DETENTION – Arrest and Jail Information

How do I send money to an inmate in a Park County detention center?

• Inmates are permitted to receive funds for deposit to their commissary accounts. Money orders and cashier’s checks may be mailed to inmates (for instructions, see “Detention
• Cash deposits to inmate accounts ARE NOT accepted by mail. 

How do I visit someone in jail?

• Inmates in Park County jails may receive visitors on Saturdays and Sundays only from 10:00 until 11:30 A.M. and then from 1:00 P.M. until 5:30 P.M. Visits are for a period of 30 minutes.

All inmate appointments are to be made at least 24 hours in advance by calling the detention center.

Visitors need to arrive a minimum of 15 minutes prior to the scheduled time or they will not be permitted to attend the visit. A photo I.D. is required at time of visit.

Visitors may not give anything to — or take anything from — an inmate.
• For more details on visiting jail inmates, go to: Detention

What’s the difference between jail and prison?

• Think short-term and long-term.

• Jails are run by sheriffs and/or local governments and are designed to hold individuals awaiting trial or a serving sentences up to one year in length.

• Prisons are operated by state governments and the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) and are designed to hold individuals convicted of crimes.

• Jails operate work release programs and other specialized services. They try to address educational needs, substance abuse needs, and vocational needs while managing inmate behavior. Inmate idleness contributes to management problems.

• State prison systems operate halfway houses, boot camps, work release centers and community restitution centers – all considered medium or minimum custody. Inmates assigned to such facilities are usually reaching the end of their sentences.

How do I bail or bond someone out of jail?

A person who has been arrested and charged with a crime may be required to post bail (a bond) before being released from jail. A bond is insurance to guarantee an arrestee will appear in court for trial. If that person fails to appear for a court date, the bond money is forfeited. A bond may be posted in cash, by an arrestee or by someone on his/her behalf.

Most crimes are bondable offenses, except capital crimes (those crimes for which the death penalty may be asked). The decision to grant bond or the amount of a bond is determined by a judge.To post a bond,Please call (307) 527-8750.

There are two ways to post a bond:

Cash Bond: the total amount of the bond, in cash, is placed with the county to guarantee the arrestee will appear at the next court hearing. If the arrestee does not appear after posting a cash bond, the money will be forfeited. If a not guilty verdict is rendered or the case is dismissed, or at the conclusion of the trial proceedings, bond money will be refunded minus any fines and / or court costs.

Cash, cashier’s checks or money orders are the only accepted methods of payment for bail. When posting bail, cashier’s checks and money orders must be made payable to the Sheriff of Park County. Personal checks and credit cards are not accepted.

Refunds for cash bonds can be made by contacting the court in which the bond was posted.

Surety bond: A bonding company posts a bond that guarantees an arrestee will appear at the next court date. The bonding company normally charges a fee for each bond posted. Consult your local Yellow Pages for lists of bonding companies.



Where do the deputies patrol? 

The Park County Sheriff’s Office patrol division provides rotating patrols in Park County on a varied and staggered rotation that ensures we have deputies covering the entire county. By providing enforcement of Wyoming State Statutes in the unincorporated parts of the county, they strive to maintain a visible presence in all areas. We also assist the United States Forest Service in providing patrols to the National Forest Lands in our county.

If you would like more information regarding patrol practices, you can contact the Undersheriff HERE. If you feel you need to make a report or speak to a Deputy,  please contact dispatch to file a request with them. They will take your information and dispatch the next available deputy to assist you.

What kind of work do the deputies do?

Please see the News page of this web site for a link to the monthly patrol statistics showing what has happened for the previous month.

ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES: Tickets, Reports and Permits

How do I obtain a copy of an arrest record, a background check, an event report or a call for service report?
• Contact the Park County Sheriff Administrative Assistant for more information. Some information requests cannot be honored due to state statute.

• How do I get a protection order?

• Protection orders are issued by a judge and are intended to protect those who fear for their own safety. Essentially, a protection order prohibits an individual from an action that is likely to cause harm; usually, a protection order prevents any contact or communication between two or more people.

Contact Crisis Intervention for further information. Their web site is on our Community Links tab found on our home page.

What do I do if I get a ticket?

All Citations issued by the Park County Sheriff’s Office are payable at Circuit Court either in Cody at the Courthouse, or in Powell at the Annex.

How do I get a permit for a concealed handgun?  CLICK HERE

Miscellaneous FAQ’s

What is a charge?

• A charge is an accusation that a crime has been committed and is the starting point for the criminal justice system. Being charged does not necessarily indicate guilt; only a court can make that decision.
• Charges may be brought through an:
• Arrest at a crime scene or following/during the investigation of a crime
• Arrest based on a warrant issued by a judge in response to a sworn complaint
• Arrest based on an indictment by a grand jury

What is the difference between a criminal case and a civil case?

• Civil cases are generally brought by private individuals or corporations seeking to collect money owed or monetary damages. A criminal case is brought by the local, state or federal government in response to a suspected violation of law and seeks a fine, a jail sentence or both.

What Computer Software does your agency use?

The Park County Sheriff’s Office uses the software suite from Sun Ridge Systems called RIMS. This allows us to link our databases with the Cody Police Department and Powell Police Department providing all agencies instant access to the information necessary to serve the public in the most fiscally responsible manner by pooling resources and preventing unnecessary and costly duplication of information.

CLICK HERE to go to their web site.